Wisdom Teeth Removal
The wisdom teeth are the final set of molars that erupt around the time a person reaches their late teens or early twenties. While wisdom teeth may not make you wise, they will cause you discomfort later on if they’re not removed. Most people’s mouths aren’t large enough to accommodate wisdom teeth, and this leads to crowding and possible infections. Some wisdom teeth can erupt through the
gums at an awkward angle, and this will cause even further problems. This is why, at your favorite Cincinnati family dentist, we recommend that you have your wisdom teeth removed as soon as you notice them coming in.
Tooth Extraction Cincinnati
When you have your wisdom teeth removed here at Just Smile, you will need to continue to care for your gums and mouth when you get home. When you finally do get home from the procedure, your mouth may be swollen and you may experience some pain and discomfort. You can minimize the pain and the risk of infection by following these instructions.
- Place a gauze pad over the surgical area and keep it there for about half an hour. Then, throw the pad away.
- Immediately following the procedure, you may be tempted to rinse your mouth out constantly, but you should refrain from doing this at all costs. In no way should you excessively rinse your mouth or touch the wounded area following the procedure. If you do
touch the affected area, you may cause the gums to bleed. In some cases, a blood clot can form and become dislodged during this procedure, which is also bad news.
- Take your prescribed pain medications as soon as you start to feel any pain or discomfort. This is the anesthetic wearing off.
- Try not to engage in any rigorous activity the day after the procedure and just go at a normal pace until you feel comfortable enough to do otherwise.
- Use ice packs to keep the swelling down.
That’s all there is to it. You can brush your teeth as you normally do, but you should only rinse gently on the night of the procedure. However, the day after the procedure, you will want to rinse your mouth about five to six times per day with a cup of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt, especially after eating.
As your favorite Cincinnati family dentist, we are committed to making sure you have a healthy mouth and that your wisdom teeth come out on-time.
We will make sure that you are completely comfortable throughout the tooth extraction Cincinnati process and we’ll even be here to make sure you are comfortable after you leave. Most of us have experienced the healing process after wisdom teeth removal, so just ask us if you have any questions.
And remember, if you’re wisdom teeth are starting to come in, it may be time to make an appointment.